Under the supervision of the Piapot Human Resources Manager, the Human Resource Assistant is responsible for a wide range of support activities, from coordinating meetings to maintaining employee databases to posting job ads. An important part of the role will be to act as the liaison between HR and employees, ensuring smooth communication and prompt resolution of requests and questions. The role will also assist in creating and updating processes, procedures, and documents.
Responsibilities will include, but not limited to:
- Assist with day-to-day operations of the Human Resource functions and duties of Piapot First Nation in accordance with Piapot First Nation Personnel Policy.
- Provide clerical and administrative support to Human Resource Manager.
- Compile and update employee records (hard and soft copies), establish, maintain, and monitor personnel files ensuring confidentiality as directed by HR Manager.
- Assist with employee requests regarding issues, regulations and assist in handling complaints and grievance procedures.
- Assist in the staffing process by coordinating communication with candidates, scheduling interviews and assist in conducting initial orientation to newly hired employees as required.
- Coordinate Human Resource projects (meetings, training, surveys etc.) and take minutes.
- Assist in payroll preparation by providing relevant data and communicate to employees when necessary.
- Monitor the PFN employees’ contracts to ensure they follow relevant employment agreements/contracts/laws/policies.
- Remain current on all relevant legislation and compliance with the following: Labour Code and Employment Standards Act (2000), Workers Compensation Act, Income Tax act.
- Assist in administering, monitoring, and maintaining the PFN Employee Group Benefit Plan.
- Assist in completion of all required internal and external pensions and benefits reports.
- Support Human Resource Manager in the development, implementation, and coordination of the strategic plan.
- Professional development activities to enhance the employee’s understanding and efficiency in Human Resources.
Knowledge, Skills & Competencies:
- The Human Resource Assistant must have a formal education in Business Administration and/or an equivalent combination of experience and training.
- The Human Resource Assistant must have one to 2 years’ experience in the field of Administration. Also required is knowledge and understanding of Piapot First Nations language, culture, traditions, and social issues.
- Travel to work in all weather conditions.
- Work irregular or extended hours to complete special requests, projects and/or reports.
- Spend extended hours sitting, using office equipment, and attending meetings.
- The Piapot First Nation Office is a busy fast-paced facility where considerable activity takes place.
- The Human Resources Assistant is required to manage several tasks at one time, priorities, and projects at one time and may be interrupted frequently.
- The environment requires excellent organizational, time management and stress management skills to complete tasks required.
- The Human Resources Assistant will manage a variety of priorities at one time.
- Must be aware of all Piapot First Nation departments in the community along with relevant legislation, policies, and procedures.
Must be prepared to deal with emergencies and stressful situations at any time.
DEADLINE: Thursday, November 2, 2023 @ 4:30 PM
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send a cover letter detailing your qualifications with your resume and three current work-related references to:
ATTENTION: Human Resources
Piapot First Nation
General Delivery, Zehner SK S0G 1K0
We thank all those that apply, however, only those that are selected for an interview will be contacted. Piapot First Nation relies on The Saskatchewan Human Rights Code to give preference in employment; therefore, please indicate your status on the cover letter.